While brewing a delectable cup of cappuccino at home might make you feel like some barista, in actuality, the job at cafeterias is quite complicated. There are multiple recipes to memorise, and fancy machines to manoeuvre.
In case you are planning on pursuing this particular profession because you simply love the aroma of freshly grounded coffee beans, or can use the money to apply for colleges, carry out below-mentioned steps.
- Master the Lingo-
Reputed institutions offering barista course Melbourne first help their students learn the basic terminologies. For example, you must know the difference between a Flat White and a Latte Macchiato. Treat this no less than SAT prep. Create flashcards to retain important information in a hassle-free manner.
- Watch Videos-
If you are a little short on cash, depend on the internet for learning. It is replete with videos, which can show you how to make different types of coffee, and specify etiquettes to maintain as a barista. That being said, none can deny the benefits of undertaking professional tutelage.
- Cultivate Essential Characteristics-
Baristas can attain unimaginable heights of prosperity only if they possess certain essential characteristics, such as being a people person. You must interact with your fellow colleagues regularly, and also engage customers for a prolonged period by talking to them in a friendly way. Others include:
- If you are not passionate about a job, you cannot succeed in it. Similarly, if you do not love making and serving coffee, you will most certainly fail to gain a strong footing in cafeteria business.
- Paying attention towards cleanliness is necessary. You must keep your station spick and span by handling ingredients carefully, and wiping spillages right away.
- Leaving that know-it-all attitude outside door will open diverse opportunities. You must be humble and willing to adapt to new trends, which emerge every now and then.
- People want beverages that taste great as well as look visually appealing. Only detail-oriented baristas can accomplish both motives seamlessly.
- When working in a coffee shop, be ready to show up early and stay for long shifts, even on weekends.
- Finally, yet importantly, as a barista, you need to tackle all kinds of customers. Some can be quite cranky as they have not received their daily caffeine dose yet.
- Start at a Renowned Coffee Chain-
Start at renowned coffee chains like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Au Bon Pain, Tim Horton’s, etc. because they do not ask for previous experience, and pay quite well.
Apart from a barista, implementing steps stated above can also help you become a successful bartender. But going through responsible service of alcohol training is mandatory. Top-notch professionals, who offer RSA certificate in Melbourne, said preventing sales to minors, detecting symptoms of intoxication, managing refusal situations with utmost confidence, etc., enhances safety quotient to a great extent.